Are You A New CRNA In Wisconsin

1. Apply for a WI RN license. WI has compact agreements with some other states that allow RNs to easily get an RN license from one state to the next. Renewal of the RN license is every 2 years.

2. If you are already a CRNA, that credential travels with you around the country.

3. Most employers, especially in rural settings, require a Wisconsin Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber certification (APNP). Medically directed settings may not require the APNP certificate–but to ensure your employment options and flexibility in the future, we urge you get APNP certified!

The link to the DSPS (Department of Safety and Professional Services) page with the APNP application:

You will need to complete 45 CEs of pharmacology credits within the past three years prior to applying for the APNP certificate.

If you are just out of school, credits from your program apply, so this is the best time to apply.

If you are years out of your graduate program, look for CEs that clearly states the coursework’s pharmacology credits. This should be clearly noted on the certificate of attendance, or as a stand-alone letter from the course provider stating the number of pharmacology credits granted.

4. Once the application is sent with the proof of pharmacology credits, you will get sent a general at-home pharmacology exam.

5. Renewal of the APNP certificate is every 3 years. State statutes require 24 CEUs of pharmacology every three years to renew the APNP certificate. The DSPS has the right to audit anyone renewing their APNP, so keep proof of your pharmacology CEs.

6. Where do I get pharmacology CEs?, has been recommended by one member for fast pharmacology CEs.

-The Wisconsin Nurses Association has a pharmacology course for Advanced Practice Nurses every spring:

-WIANA provides pharmacology CE’s at every spring and fall meeting.